Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010 The Legislative Session Begins

Walking through the halls of the Legislature this past Wednesday, I couldn’t help but smile. My eagerness to make the changes that will benefit both our community and state always puts me in a cheerful mood. Looking ahead, I am happy to be supporting legislation that will ensure that the great state of West Virginia meets its full potential in the years to come.
One of my focuses this session will be judicial reform, as it has been in the past. Last year, I co-sponsored Senate Bill 263, which discloses certain inmates’ personal communication, and Senate Bill 341, which transferred the Juvenile Justice Database Administration to the Supreme Court. I was also the sole sponsor for Senate Bill 99, which allowed sentencing discretion for youthful offenders.
This session, I will be at the forefront of other judicial reforms, such as Senate Bill 195, which will relieve judges from partisan campaign donations that could potentially damage judges’ credibility as a non-partisan source. This bill is in line with recommendations from Sandra Day O’Connor, former U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
As Senate Chairman of the Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority Interim Committee, I have studied the growing problem of prison overpopulation as well as potential solutions. In response to the findings, I am co-sponsoring Senate Bill 207, which would streamline the parole process for non-violent criminals and those who have not committed crimes against children.
My other main focus will be on this great state’s education system. I fully support a higher education tuition freeze. This action is necessary in order to make sure parents can continue sending their children to college. However, this must be structured as to not delay a more dramatic increase in the future while not diminishing the quality of post secondary education. Being a father myself, I will do everything I can to protect post secondary education.
Once again, I am looking forward to a productive and successful new session.
You can contact me via email randy.white@wvsenate.gov or phone: 304-357-7906 or by writing Senator Randy White, Building 1, Room 204-W, 1900 Kanawha Blvd., East, Charleston, WV 25305.

1 comment:

Mother from Elk River region said...

I appreciate your efforts to preserve access to education for all of our children. Education is valuable but many times too expensive to attain.